People also search for Lily‑Rose Depp 24 years Post Malone 28 years Bella Hadid 26 years
- 1 Does The Weeknd have kids?
- 2 What’s The Weeknd’s first song?
- 3 Who was The Weeknd’s ex?
- 4 Did Selena Gomez date The Weeknd?
- 5 How much does The Weeknd make?
- 6 Has The Weeknd ever talked?
- 7 How high can The Weeknd sing?
- 8 Does The Weeknd have a gf?
What is Weeknd’s real name?
The artist adjusted his name on Instagram and Twitter but kept his handles as The Weeknd. The Weeknd at Coachella in Indio, Calif., on April 21. Matt Winkelmeyer / Getty Images for Coachella file May 15, 2023, 4:36 PM UTC / Updated May 16, 2023, 1:23 PM UTC Canadian pop star The Weeknd changed his name on social media Monday to Abel Tesfaye, his birth name.
Tesfaye opted to keep his handles on Instagram and Twitter as The Weeknd and made no changes to his Facebook account at all. It’s not clear why Tesfaye, 33, made the change. In an interview with W Magazine this month, he said he’s preparing to reinvent himself as a musician. “I’m going through a cathartic path right now,” he told the magazine.
“It’s getting to a place and a time where I’m getting ready to close the Weeknd chapter. I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd. But I still want to kill The Weeknd. And I will. Eventually. I’m definitely trying to shed that skin and be reborn.” Tesfaye said the album he’s working on might be his “last hurrah as The Weeknd.” “This is something that I have to do,” he said.
- As The Weeknd, I’ve said everything I can say.” Tesfaye’s team said there will be no further comment on the social media name change.
- Tesfaye, the “Blinding Lights” and “Die for You” singer, was named the most popular artist in the world this year following analysis of Spotify data.
- Guinness World Records awarded Tesfaye the title, adding that he set two records : most monthly listeners on Spotify, 111.4 million as of March 20, and first artist to reach 100 million monthly listeners on Spotify.
Guinness credited Tesfaye’s surging streaming figures with the release of the “Die for You” remix featuring Ariana Grande, which went viral on TikTok. The song was originally released as part of his “Starboy” album in 2016. The only other solo male musician to have achieved the feat is Michael Jackson, according to Guinness World Records. Mirna Alsharif Breaking news reporter
Does The Weeknd have kids?
The Weeknd Children: Does The Weeknd have children? The Weeknd Children: Does The Weeknd have children? – In this piece you will get to know all about The Weeknd children. But then who is The Weeknd? The Weeknd, whose real name is Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, is a Canadian singer-songwriter who has become a prominent figure in modern pop music due to his unique music production, artistic transformations, and distinct falsetto singing style.
A lot of people have been inquiring lot about The Weeknd children and making various research about them on the internet. This article talks about The Weeknd children and everything there is to know about them. Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, better known as The Weeknd, is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and record producer.
He was born on February 16, 1990, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to Ethiopian immigrant parents. The Weeknd’s parents divorced when he was young, and he grew up primarily with his grandmother and mother. During his teenage years, The Weeknd experimented with drugs and alcohol and dropped out of high school.
- He later credited his experiences with substance abuse as a significant influence on his music, stating that it helped him find his voice and express his emotions.
- In 2010, The Weeknd anonymously uploaded several songs to YouTube and later released three mixtapes: “House of Balloons,” “Thursday,” and “Echoes of Silence.” These mixtapes gained significant critical acclaim and helped launch The Weeknd’s career.
In 2012, he signed with Republic Records and released his debut album, “Trilogy,” which compiled the songs from his three mixtapes. The Weeknd’s second album, “Kiss Land,” was released in 2013 and included the hit single “Live For” featuring Drake. In 2014, he contributed two songs to the “Fifty Shades of Grey” soundtrack, including the popular hit “Earned It.” The following year, The Weeknd released his third album, “Beauty Behind the Madness,” which included the chart-topping singles “Can’t Feel My Face” and “The Hills.” The album earned him two Grammy Awards and established him as a mainstream pop star.
- Since then, The Weeknd has continued to release successful albums and singles, including “Starboy” and “Blinding Lights,” both of which earned him multiple Grammy Awards.
- He has also collaborated with other popular artists, such as Daft Punk, Kendrick Lamar, and Ariana Grande.
- The Weeknd is known for his unique blend of R&B, pop, and electronic music and his unconventional music production, which often incorporates dark and moody themes.
He is also recognized for his distinctive high-pitched singing voice, which he achieves through the use of falsetto. In addition to his music career, The Weeknd has also made several appearances in film and television. He made his acting debut in the 2019 film “Uncut Gems,” starring Adam Sandler, and has also appeared in episodes of the TV shows “American Dad!” and “Robot Chicken.” The Weeknd’s journey from an anonymous artist to a global pop star is a testament to his unique talent and ability to connect with audiences through his music.
His success has cemented his place as one of the most influential and innovative artists of his generation. Does The Weeknd have any children? According to his interview with GQ, The Weeknd (real name Abel Tesfaye) does not have any children. However, he expressed that the prospect of marriage scares him and he believes he would fare better with children than a partner.
In his own words, “I feel like I’m the kind of guy that would have kids before getting married. The first thing would be kids.” Source: : The Weeknd Children: Does The Weeknd have children?
What’s The Weeknd’s first song?
Genius Q&A Community Answer The Weeknd ‘s first song ” Take You (The Noise Era) ” released in 2009. Abel Makkonen Tesfaye (born February 16, 1990 in Scarborough, Ontario), popularly known as The Weeknd, is an R&B/pop/hip-hop singer-songwriter and record producer from Toronto, Canada.
What is The Weeknd’s nationality?
Grammy-winning R&B singer and performer the Weeknd has created such hits as ‘Can’t Feel My Face,’ ‘The Hills,’ ‘Starboy’ and ‘Heartless.’ Who Is The Weeknd? The Weeknd, originally Abel Tesfaye, broke into the music scene with the 2011 mixtape House of Balloons.
He went on to work with Drake, Wiz Khalifa and others, while building his own career as an artist. In 2015, the Weeknd enjoyed huge success with the Grammy-winning album Beauty Behind the Madness, which boasted the hit single “Can’t Feel My Face.” His follow-up album, Starboy (2016), also won a Grammy and featured collaborations with artists such as Daft Punk.
Early Years Born Abel Tesfaye on February 16, 1990, in Toronto, Canada, the Weeknd has become one of the music industry’s leading alternative R&B performers. He is the son of Ethiopian immigrants but has had little contact with his father, who left the family when the Weeknd was only a toddler.
His early musical influences ranged from traditional Ethiopian music to the “King of Pop,” Michael Jackson. In an interview with Vanity Fair, the Weeknd specifically cited the impact of Jackson’s 1979 hit “Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough,” describing it as “the song that helped me find my voice. It’s the reason I sing.” Mixtapes, Albums & Songs ‘House of Balloons’ Never shy about displaying his vocal talents, the Weeknd started recording his efforts while in high school.
After dropping out, he continued exploring his interest in music, and released a free download called House of Balloons in 2011. This, along with two more mixtapes, helped push his career forward. He worked with Drake on his 2011 album, Take Care, which featured several tracks from House of Balloons, and landed a deal with Universal’s Republic Records.
- ‘Trilogy’ The Weeknd’s earlier mixtapes were re-released as 2012’s Trilogy, which became a platinum-selling record for the young artist.
- Despite his growing popularity, he managed to hide himself from the public at large.
- The Weeknd refused interviews for a long time and chose to use images of women for his 2013 album, Kiss Land, rather than pictures of himself.
Some of the mystique he built around himself was intentional, but it also reflected the shyness and insecurities that troubled him early in his career. In addition to his own work, the Weeknd collaborated with other artists. He appeared on Wiz Khalifa’s “Remember You” in 2012 and worked with Rick Ross on his 2014 album, Mastermind.
- That same year, the Weeknd helped producer Max Martin with Ariana Grande’s hit “Love Me Harder”.
- ‘Beauty Behind the Madness’ and Grammy Wins In 2015, the Weeknd continued his rise to the top with the No.1 album Beauty Behind the Madness.
- His disco-pop infused single “Can’t Feel My Face,” became for many the unofficial song of the summer, while his ballad “The Hills” also made quite an impression on music fans.
(Biography source: https://www.biography.com)
Why is The Weeknd’s voice so nice?
The Weeknd’s Head Voice – When it comes to The Weeknd’s singing, he’s not just a one-trick pony, he’s also a master of using his head voice. Head voice, also known as falsetto, is a higher register of the voice that’s often associated with a lighter and more delicate sound. But don’t be fooled, The Weeknd uses his head voice to add depth and power to his singing.
The Weeknd’s head voice is unique because he doesn’t shy away from using it in the middle of a song, even when the song is in a lower register. This creates a contrast in his singing that adds a sense of dynamic and emotional range. One of the best examples of The Weeknd using head voice in his singing is in his hit single “Blinding Lights” where he uses head voice to add a sense of tension and urgency to the song.
In short, The Weeknd uses head voice like a secret weapon, adding a touch of elegance and power to his singing. He’s able to switch between registers seamlessly, making his singing sound effortless and natural. And that’s why he’s a master of his craft.
First things first, you need to understand what head voice is. Head voice is a singing technique that allows you to sing in a higher register without straining your vocal cords. It’s like a secret weapon that you can use to add depth and range to your singing. To start using head voice, try singing a simple scale while focusing on keeping your voice light and breathy.
This will help you develop the muscle control you need to sing in this register. You can also practice head voice by humming or singing “mmm” while allowing your voice to float to the higher notes. Once you’ve got the basics down, it’s time to incorporate head voice into your singing.
Who was The Weeknd’s ex?
Angelina Jolie – The Weeknd and Angelina Jolie have been romantically linked after a number of alleged dates. Picture: Getty In July 2021, the Weeknd and Angelina Jolie sparked dating rumours after they were spotted enjoying a cozy dinner together in Los Angeles. The pair were spotted leaving Giorgio Baldi in Santa Monica moments apart from one another.
- They were spotted again weeks later on another ‘secret date’ at a concert in LA.
- The Weeknd’s ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez once crossed paths with Angelina’s ex-husband Brad, back in 2016, while they were still married.
- That same year, The Weeknd released his hit song ‘Party Monster’ that featured a reference to both Angelina and Selena.
He sung the lyrics, “Angelina, lips like Angelina / Like Selena, a** shaped like Selena.” Then, in his 2016 hit single ‘Starboy’, he referenced Pitt, singing, “Let a n**** Brad Pitt, legend of the fall took the year like a bandit.” A source told The Sun, that Angelina Jolie took son Pax, 17, to meet The Weeknd on her recent family trip to New York before their alleged date night.
Did Selena Gomez date The Weeknd?
Who: Grammy-nominated singer, actress, and Rare Beauty founder Selena Gomez, 30, and four-time Grammy-winning singer, producer, and actor The Weeknd (born Abel Makkonen Tesfaye), 33. How They Met: In November 2015, Selena and The Weeknd met at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, where they both performed.
- However, at the time, they were dating other people — Selena had recently reunited with her on-again, off-again boyfriend, Justin Bieber, while The Weeknd was seeing supermodel Bella Hadid.
- Just over a year later, they were both single and seemingly ready to mingle, as they were spotted kissing during a romantic dinner date at Giorgio Baldi.
And a few weeks after their first date, they jetted off to Italy together. Getty Images The next month, Selena attended several of The Weeknd’s concerts during the European leg of his Starboy: Legend of the Fall Tour, She also rented out one of their favorite date night spots, Dave & Busters, for his 27th birthday party to the tune of $30,000.
- After attempting to keep their relationship under wraps for several months, they officially went Instagram official with a cute couple selfie at Coachella in April 2017.
- Revealing why she decided to go public with their relationship finally, Selena told Ryan Seacrest during a SiriusXM interview that it partly had to do with her mental health.
“It’s really hard when I would want to spend so much time hiding things,” she said. “It’s too much pressure, and I think everyone gets over everything eventually. I just want to be happy. If that’s me just being myself, then I don’t really care.” “Obviously, she’s referring to The Weeknd,” Seacrest added before Gomez corrected him, saying: “Abelthat’s so weird.” When asked if she was still happy with Abel for InStyle ‘s September 2017 cover story, Selena responded: “I really am.
- It’s great.” Though, she was quick to clarify that their relationship doesn’t define her.
- I don’t depend on one area of my life to make me happy.
- It’s really important for me to love and nourish my friends and family and to make sure that I never get influenced by a guy,” she continued.
- I’ve wanted to be in a strong headspace for years, and I really wasn’t.
Before, I was so young and easily influenced, and I’d feel insecure. You want someone to add to your life, not to complete you, if that makes sense. I’m lucky because he’s more of a best friend than anything else.” Getty Images Why We Loved Them: While they were only together for ten months, Selena and The Weeknd supported each other like a couple who had been dating for years.
- Selena, for her part, traveled to ten different countries (Italy, Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland, France, the US, Canada, Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina) and three continents over the course of a few months so that they could be together during his world tour.
- And when Selena couldn’t make it to a concert, Abel would fly thousands of miles to be with her (he once notably flew 11.5 hours from Paris to Los Angeles to see her for her birthday IRL).
It’s also been reported that The Weeknd scheduled several of his shows around Selena’s kidney transplant surgery that summer. According to People, the singer was in between dates of his tour from July 22 through Aug.6, then again until Sept.6. He canceled a show last-minute on Aug.26 and was a no-show to the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards — despite being announced as a performer.
When They Peaked: Nothing showcased Selena’s newfound happiness more than when she and Abel made their red-carpet debut at the 2017 Met Gala. They were photographed kissing, hugging, laughing (all of the above) — and according to E! News, Selena was heard whispering “I love you” in Abel’s ear. Getty The Breakup: On Oct.30, 2017, it was announced that Selena and The Weeknd called it quits on their 10-month relationship.
Coincidentally, a few days earlier, Selena was spotted at church and grabbing breakfast with her ex Justin Bieber in Los Angeles. But sources swore Justin had nothing to do with the split and, instead, blamed distance for their breakup. “She and Abel have been going back and forth for a few months about their relationship,” an insider shared at the time.
“It’s been hard with him being on tour and her shooting in New York. That wasn’t easy on them.” A month later, Selena spoke about their breakup for the first time, revealing that she and Abel were still best friends despite no longer being romantically linked. “Something that I’m really proud of is that there’s such a true friendship,” she told Billboard,
“I truly have never experienced anything like that in my life. We ended it as best friends, and it was genuinely about encouraging and caring, and that was pretty remarkable for me.” Getty Images Where They Are Now: Selena reconciled with Justin Bieber immediately following her split from The Weeknd in November 2017.
But their reunion was short-lived, and the two broke up four months later. Since Justin, Selena hasn’t dated anyone seriously but has recently been linked to The Chainsmokers’ Drew Taggart, as well as another Hadid ex, Zayn Malik, this year. With her love life on hold, Selena has been putting all of her focus on her career.
In 2020, Selena came out with her first album in five years, Rare, and also launched a beauty brand by the same name. Gomez currently has a starring role in the Hulu mystery series Only Murders in the Building and was nominated for an Emmy as an executive producer on the show.
- Like Gomez, The Weeknd seemingly reconciled with his ex, Bella Hadid, weeks after his breakup with Selena.
- The two sparked reunion rumors once more in April 2018 at Coachella and a month later after sharing a kiss at Cannes.
- They went on to date for a little over a year, and Abel is now reportedly with DJ Simi Khadra.
The Weeknd’s music career has continued to be a major success. A year after his split from Selena, he released the album, My Dear Melancholy, with the song “Call Out My Name” seemingly about the songstress. He went on to release two more albums — After Hours and Dawn FM — and will star in the new HBO Max series The Idol ( which he also created and produced) in June.
Is The Weekend Religious?
Tesfaye was raised as an Ethiopian Orthodox.
Why is The Weeknd called Abel?
What is The Weeknd’s real and full name? – The Weeknd was born in Canada, but his family is of Ethiopian origins. The singer’s real name is Abel Makkonen Tesfaye. He had adopted The Weeknd as his stage name at the beginning of his career. However, on Monday, May 15, 2023, the Canadian artist changed it to his birth name on social media.
Who made The Weeknd famous?
The Weeknd, byname of Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, (born February 16, 1990, Toronto, Ontario, Canada), Canadian rhythm-and-blues singer and songwriter who was perhaps best known for his explicit songs about sex and drugs, many of which were autobiographical, and for his soaring falsetto and its singular tremolo.
- Tesfaye’s mother and grandmother immigrated in the 1980s to Canada from Ethiopia, and his first language was Amharic,
- When he was in grade 11, he quit school and left home, devoting himself to unbridled partying.
- Tesfaye eventually landed a job at American Apparel and at the same time began writing songs about drug use, casual sex, and alienation.
He crossed paths with musician and producer Jeremy Rose, and they started working together. Their collaboration yielded three atmospheric songs—”The Morning,” “Loft Music,” and “What You Need”—with lyrics that were partly sung and partly rapped. The songs, credited to The Weeknd, were uploaded as audio files to the video-sharing Web site YouTube in late 2010; their popularity grew exponentially after they were posted to the blog of Canadian rapper Drake, Britannica Quiz Pop Culture Quiz With Drake as an admirer and backer, Tesfaye had greater access to recording opportunities, and by March 2011 he had put together a nine-song mixtape, House of Balloons, which he released as a free download. The album gained critical notice and was short-listed for Canada’s Polaris Music Prize.
- Tesfaye made his first public appearance as The Weeknd in a Toronto nightclub in July that year.
- He released two more free mixtapes in 2011, Thursday and Echoes of Silence,
- In addition, he contributed to the 2011 Drake release Take Care,
- The Weeknd partnered with Republic Records in September 2012.
- Two months later he released Trilogy, made up of remastered versions of the songs on the three mixtapes; it became a best seller,
However, The Weeknd’s first studio album, Kiss Land (2013), failed to penetrate beyond his fan base. The Weeknd subsequently asked his record company for help in crafting songs. The outcome was a professional relationship with the hit-making Swedish producer Max Martin and a duet with pop star Ariana Grande, “Love Me Harder.” The song, released in 2014, reached the top 10.
- The Weeknd’s next three hit singles, “Earned It,” “The Hills,” and “Can’t Feel My Face,” were featured on Beauty Behind the Madness (2015).
- In 2016 The Weeknd won Canada’s Juno Award for artist of the year for the second consecutive year, as well as four other Junos, including album of the year.
- He also won Grammy Awards for best R&B performance for “Earned It,” and Beauty Behind the Madness took the award for best urban contemporary album.
In addition, “Earned It,” which was included on the sound track of the film Fifty Shades of Grey (2015), was nominated for an Academy Award in 2016. The Weeknd’s success continued with Starboy (2016), which featured collaborations with Kendrick Lamar and Daft Punk,
- It was a commercial hit and earned a Grammy for best urban contemporary album.
- His next release, My Dear Melancholy, (2018), recalled the moody, atmospheric sounds of his earlier music.
- The cinematic and introspective After Hours (2020) was critically praised and, like his previous release, debuted at the top of the charts.
The Weeknd performed at the Super Bowl halftime show in 2021. The following year his fifth studio album, Dawn FM, appeared. The work was described as a “dance party in purgatory,” and it was narrated by Jim Carrey, Get a Britannica Premium subscription and gain access to exclusive content. Subscribe Now In 2019 The Weeknd made his feature-film debut, appearing as himself in the crime dramedy Uncut Gems, which starred Adam Sandler, Pat Bauer The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica
Is The Weeknd going to retire?
Is The Weeknd retiring? – Image: Amy Sussman/Getty Images for Coachella Is The Weekend retiring? Yes, but no. himself isn’t retiring from music, but he’s not going to use the name “The Weeknd” anymore. In an interview with Abel revealed why he didn’t want to use his stage name in the future.
- I’m going through a cathartic path right now,” he said.
- It’s getting to a place and a time where I’m getting ready to close the Weeknd chapter.
- I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd.
- But I still want to kill The Weeknd.
- And I will.
- I’m definitely trying to shed that skin and be reborn.” Abel later explained, “The album I’m working on now is probably my last hurrah as The Weeknd.
This is something that I have to do. As The Weeknd, I’ve said everything I can say.” He also talked about of going back and forth between acting and performing with filming a portion of The Idol during his shows in Los Angeles. “I had to take off the Weeknd outfit, put on Tedros’s wig, shoot with Jocelyn, then go back to being The Weeknd,” he told me later.
- It was tough to go from one head to another.
- Then, after the concert, I lost my voice.
- No voice came out at all.
- That’s never happened before.
- My theory is that I forgot how to sing because I was playing Tedros, a character who doesn’t know how to sing.
- I may be looking too deeply into this, but it was terrifying.
As The Weeknd, I’ve never skipped a concert. I’ve performed with the flu. I’ll die on that stage. But there was something very complicated going on with my mind at that moment.” The show was filmed as his on the After Hours til Dawn after three consecutive shows sold out at SoFi Stadium.
He also performed sold-out shows in his hometown of Toronto, Canada, and East Rutherford, New Jersey. On the second night of the “Die For You” singer’s Los Angeles run, he lost his voice in the middle of “Can’t Feel My Face” and left the stage abruptly. He later came out to apologize to the crowd. “I wanted to personally come out and apologize to you guys.
I don’t know what just happened when I screamed, but I just lost my voice. This is killing me, I don’t want to stop the show, but I can’t give you the concert I want to give you,” the Weeknd said. “I’m going to make sure everyone’s good, gets your money back, and I’ll do a show real soon for you guys, but I wanted to come out and personally apologize and not tweet it or Instagram it.
I wanted you guys to know that I can’t give you what I want to give you and I apologize. I’m so sorry.” He added, “You know how much this kills me.” Tesfaye came up with the name The Weeknd after going through several different stage names like the Noise and Kin Kane. In a in 2013, he revealed how he settled with “The Weeknd.” “I left home when I was about 17 dropped out of high school and convinced Lamar to do the same lol,” he said referring to a member of his XO crew at the time.
“We grabbed our mattresses from our parents threw it in our friends shitty van and left one weekend and never came back home. It was gonna be the title of HOB, I hated my name at the time though so I tried it as a stage name. It sounded cool. I took out the “e” because there was already a Canadian band named the weekend (copyright issues).” Later in the W Magazine interview, he talked about his current artistic process.
- Film and TV is a new creative muscle for me,” Tesfaye said.
- I don’t release my music until I think it is great.
- Why would this be any different?” He continued, “I like when all the odds are against me,” he said.
- I’ve always been an underdog—in the beginning, the music business was not easy.
- I had to fight to get to the top of the mountain.” Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do.
Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale. : Is The Weeknd Retiring? He Wants to ‘Kill’ His Persona After Changing His Name Back
What is The Weeknd’s most popular hit?
1. “Blinding Lights” – “Blinding Lights” is synonymous with The Weeknd’s name, and for good reason. The dance-friendly beat begs the listener to move and groove with its electric energy. The song has an anthemic feel that one can’t help but sing along to.
Who owns The Weeknd’s music?
Universal Music Group ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/universal-music-group/”>Universal Music Group (UMG) has struck what it calls an expansive, long-term partnership with superstar artist, The Weeknd. UMG says that as part of the agreement, Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) will administer The Weeknd’s songwriting catalog and all his future works, “in a new long-term deal, upon expiration of his existing commitment”. For many years, The Weeknd’s publishing rights have been administered by Kobalt Music Group ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/kobalt-music-group/”>Kobalt, but that deal now looks set for expiry at an unspecified date in the future. The wide-ranging deal announced today (April 28) also builds on the relationship between The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye), and UMG’s Republic Records ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/universal-music-group/republic-records/”>Republic Records, which has been his label partner since 2012 and which, UMG says, will remain his label partner for future recorded music releases. The Weeknd owns his own recording copyrights via The Weeknd XO Inc. (aka XO) – the company he runs with his long-term friend and manager, Wassim ‘SAL’ Slaiby. According to credits on streaming services, these XO recordings are then distributed and “marketed by” Republic Records, which has been XO’s partner for around 10 years. Discussing that relationship with Republic in an MBW interview last year, Slaiby said : “Monte and Avery are very special to us. We’ve been together for 10 years, and it’s a relationship built on success, respect, and the same vision.” In addition to the publishing and recorded music elements of the new partnership, UMG says that its merchandise company Bravado ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/universal-music-group/bravado/”>Bravado will work with The Weeknd & XO “to expand and develop global merchandising, branding, ecommerce and retail licensing opportunities around future projects and releases”. The new agreement, which UMG says ‘”marks the beginning of a new era of expanded global collaboration between The Weeknd, XO and UMG”, also covers future audiovisual projects in collaboration with Republic Records and UMG. According to UMG/Vivendi filings, for recorded music, The Weeknd was UMG’s biggest artist of 2020 in terms of global revenue generation. He was also UMG’s fourth biggest global artist on this basis in 2021. His hit, Save Your Tears, was recently named as 2021’s best-selling global digital single by the IFPI ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/ifpi/”>IFPI, matching the feat achieved by Blinding Lights in 2020, and marking the first time any artist has won this award twice. The Weeknd’s most recent album Dawn FM, released in January 2022 through XO/Republic Records, broke the Billboard ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/companies/billboard/”>Billboard Global 200 chart record, with 24 songs charting in its debut week, the most ever by any solo male artist. He also holds the record for the longest-charting song in Billboard history, with Blinding Lights achieving 90 weeks on the Hot 100 chart. The Weeknd has sold more than 75 million albums. “Over the past decade, we have been honored to work so closely with Abel who has quickly become one of music’s most creative and important artists—a once-in-a-generation talent.” Sir Lucian Grainge ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/people/sir-lucian-grainge/”>Sir Lucian Grainge, Universal Music Group Sir Lucian Grainge, Chairman & CEO, Universal Music Group, said: “Over the past decade, we have been honored to work so closely with Abel who has quickly become one of music’s most creative and important artists—a once-in-a-generation talent. “With Sal and the XO team as our incredible partners, we’ve developed a deep trust and respect that has enabled us to successfully execute Abel’s brilliant vision. “I am delighted that we are now able to expand this special relationship, welcome this world-class songwriter to UMPG, and evolve this creative partnership to new and exciting levels.” “I am proud and excited to be beside Sir Lucian, Monte, Avery, Jody and the rest of the Universal family building our next decade together.” Wassim ‘SAL’ Slaiby, SALXCO Wassim ‘SAL’ Slaiby – Founder, CEO SALXCO | XO Records, said: “Over a decade together says it all. “Abel is the consummate 21st century artist and global superstar who continues to break down creative barriers with his genre-bending repertoire.” Monte Lipman ” href=”https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/people/monte-lipman/”>Monte Lipman, Republic Records Monte Lipman, Chairman & CEO, Republic Records, said: “Abel is the consummate 21st century artist and global superstar who continues to break down creative barriers with his genre-bending repertoire. “His success and career-defining accomplishments have made a historic impact around the world. It’s an honor to extend our alliance with Abel, Sal, Lamar, Cash and the XO Family in the evolution of The Weeknd.” “The Weeknd is a world-class, boundary breaking artist and I couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome him and Sal to UMPG.” Jody Gerson, Universal Music Publishing Group Jody Gerson, Chairman & CEO, Universal Music Publishing Group said: “The Weeknd is a world-class, boundary breaking artist and I couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome him and Sal to UMPG.
How much does The Weeknd make?
2019 Celebrity 100 Earnings The Weeknd appeared on our cover in 2017 with $92 million in annual earnings.
Has The Weeknd ever talked?
‘That’s what he sounds like?’ The Weeknd fans are left stunned as they hear the Canadian singer speak for the first time in clip of him meeting a fan – Published: 16:19 BST, 12 August 2022 | Updated: 12:21 BST, 19 January 2023 He’s known for his iconic singing voice and catchy tunes.
- And fans of The Weeknd, real name Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, were left stunned as they heard the Canadian singer speak for the first time in clip of him meeting a fan, which went viral on Twitter,
- The 20-second video shows the superstar, 32, speaking softly while in a conversation with a fan backstage at his recent Miami gig.
No way! Fans of The Weeknd, real name Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, were left stunned as they heard the Canadian singer speak for the first time in clip of him meeting a fan ‘Y’all his voice!’ tweeted a user alongside the video of The Weeknd greeting his fan, which shows him saying: ‘I thought you were gonna come to the Tampa show.
Are you from Miami originally?’ to which the fan tells him he isn’t. The singer then asks: ‘Where are you from originally?’ before the pair continue their conversation and have a selfie, with The Weeknd exclaiming: ‘Of course!’ when asked for the snap. Fans on Twitter went into meltdown over the clip, with many revealing that it was the first time they’d ever heard his spoken voice.
‘That’s what he sounds like? I would’ve never thought!’ admitted one person, while another confessed: ‘I was today years old when i realized i’ve never heard abel speak.’ Wow! The 20-second video, which went viral on Twitter, shows the superstar, 32, speaking softly while in a conversation with a fan backstage at his recent Miami gig Spoken voice! ‘I thought you were gonna come to the Tampa show.
Are you from Miami originally? Where are you from originally?’ he asks a fan ‘This is my first time hearing the weeknd speak,’ commented someone else, while one fan joked: Wait he can talk? ‘I though everything he says he sang.’ Some Twitter users were quick to compare The Weeknd’s speaking voice to that of talk show host Trevor Noah.
One person tweeted: ‘He looks like The Weeknd but sounds like the comedian Trevor Noah,’ while another wrote: ‘It’s like if Trevor Noah was from Canada.’ OMG! Fans on Twitter went into meltdown over the clip, with many revealing that it was the first time they’d ever heard his spoken voice Trevor? Others compared The Weeknd’s voice to that of Trevor Noah The Weeknd is reportedly dating 29-year-old DJ Simi Khadra, and has been romantically linked to her for some time Rumors first swirled about the two being an item in April 2021, and the duo and they fueled the chatter when they were seen leaving Sunset Tower hotel together in February 2022.
How high can The Weeknd sing?
Vocal Range : F2 – E5 – G#5 ( 3 octaves and a minor third ) Vocal Fach: Light Lyric Tenor Vocal Rating : Singer Analysis : A very light and thin but nimble voice. The Weeknd’s voice is clearly a product of his musical influences, namely Michael Jackson, who he often stylistically imitates but also shares a similar natural tone.
While he would succumb to his stage fright early in his career and deliver shaky live vocals, as he has gained experience and training (and fame), he has grown significantly into a respectable vocalist. The Weeknd’s voice is naturally agile, allowing him to sing descending vocal lines with ease, even though they may sound unpolished (“Secrets,” 3:56).
This is due to a variety of technical issues, but his current footing allows him to sing these passages without major discrepancies in pitch, and his work with vocal coaches has significantly developed this natural ease. As a tenor, his lower register is naturally quite weak, and in the past, he has struggled with this area of his range.
Now, it seems that he can carry his tone and color down to C3. Even then, however, his indie stylings particularly on the “aɪ” sound creates some tongue and jaw tension that dulls the sound (and this is true of all parts of his range). As he ascends in his chest voice, he may pull too much weight which causes him to strain as he reaches for higher notes (“In the Night”), though based on recent performances, he now knows how to place and mix his voice to create a clean and relaxed sound.
When he mixes and sheds weight, the slight nasality to his voice becomes more prominent. This, in combination with his very fast and uneven vibrato as well as his stylistic choices, can be grating to some. His head voice and falsetto are quite bright, and even sound androgynous at times, making his vocal fach even more apparent.
The sound here is reliably clear, and he will rarely push beyond his natural limits here. While his studio recordings are often tame with respect to vocal performances, the Weeknd will take more liberties when performing live, as can be seen from his recent Super Bowl Halftime Show performance, in which he took liberties with the melodies of his songs.
Overall, the Weeknd knows how to make the most of his instrument with his current technical footing, and his practice on the technical and performance aspects of his voice has been of noticeable benefit. What do you think of The Weeknd’s voice? Would you add anything to our analysis? Let us know by commenting below! What is the Weeknd’s vocal range? The Weeknd has a vocal range spanning approximately three octaves, from F2 – E5 – G#5.
What is The Weeknd’s type?
The Weeknd is an ISFP personality type. He is sensual, kind, and creative. With a strong moral compass, he has causes that he feels passionate about and he stays true to his morals. As an ISFP, he loves to experiment and prefers to learn through trial and error rather than spending hours planning a project in advance.
Does The Weeknd have a gf?
Simi Khadra (2022 to 2023) – Image Credit: Photo by Gotham/GC Images Yes, The Weeknd apparently has a present girlfriend—but it’s all very hush-hush. Simi Khadra, a famous DJ, was photographed kissing Abel back in February 2022. In April 2023, the pair were claimed to still be going strong after making a rare Coachella appearance in matching outfits.
Did Taylor Swift date The Weeknd?
Relation to Taylor Swift – On July 11, 2015, Taylor brought The Weeknd on stage with her during The 1989 World Tour at night two of her East Rutherford, New Jersey stop, where they performed his hit single “Can’t Feel My Face.” Taylor Swift & The Weeknd – Can’t Feel My Face In November 2015, The Weeknd told Rolling Stone that a very drunk Taylor once would not stop petting his hair at a Hollywood party. “I think she was just drawn to it — she must have been a little gone off a few drinks.
And of course I’m not going to be like, ‘Hey, can you stop?’ I mean, it felt good!” He also revealed she was a long-time fan of his work, stating: “She was like, ‘I’ve been listening to ‘The Morning’ for years — it’s one of my favorite songs ever!’ I mean, she might have just Googled it, but she seemed genuine.
Swift also spoke about the encounter stating: “I woke up to an email from the Weeknd, and he was like “You told me how beautiful I was for like 15 minutes straight and started to pet my hair.” In January 2017, The Weeknd began dating Taylor’s close friend Selena Gomez, Taylor and The Weeknd performing in East Rutherford
Why is The Weeknd changing names?
The Weeknd changes his name and ‘kills’ alter ego
has changed his name to Abel Tesfaye on all his social media accounts after announcing that he wanted to “kill” his stage name and “be reborn”.The 33-year-old singer has performed under the monicker since 2009.In an interview withearlier this month, Tesfaye revealed his plans to ditch his alter ego after one “last hurrah”.”It’s getting to a place and a time where I’m getting ready to close The Weeknd chapter,” he said.
“I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd. But I still want to kill The Weeknd. And I will. Eventually. I’m definitely trying to shed that skin and be reborn.” “The album I’m working on now is probably my last hurrah as The Weeknd,” he said.
- This is something that I have to do.
- As The Weeknd, I’ve said everything I can say.” In other news, Tesfaye’s highly anticipated and is set to be released on HBO in the US on 4 June at 9pm.
- The drama is created by Euphoria ‘s Sam Levinson and stars Lily-Rose Depp as troubled popstar Jocelyn who falls prey to sordid cult leader Tedros (Tesfaye).
During a cover shoot for earlier this month, Levinson reflected on how the show was conceived, telling the publication that the “Save Your Tears” singer had come up with the original premise for the show with his producing partner Reza Fahim. “Abel came to us with a pitch,” he said.
- He said something that I’ll always remember: What he meant is that his fans were so loyal and devoted that they would follow him anywhere.
- That was the germ of the idea for The Idol : what happens when a pop star falls for the wrong guy and no one speaks up.” The Idol will be available to watch on HBO in the US on 4 June at 9 pm.
The series will also be available to stream on Max, Warner Bros’ rebranded service which launches on 23 May. : The Weeknd changes his name and ‘kills’ alter ego
Why is The Weeknd called Abel?
What is The Weeknd’s real and full name? – The Weeknd was born in Canada, but his family is of Ethiopian origins. The singer’s real name is Abel Makkonen Tesfaye. He had adopted The Weeknd as his stage name at the beginning of his career. However, on Monday, May 15, 2023, the Canadian artist changed it to his birth name on social media.
Why is The Weekend changing his stage name?
By Saskia O’Donoghue • Updated: 16/05/2023 The record-breaking Canadian singer has changed his moniker to his birth name Abel Tesfaye across social media, after saying he wants to be ‘reborn’. Chart-topping singer The Weeknd has announced he wants to “kill” his stage name and “be reborn”.
The 33-year-old has changed his moniker across his social media accounts to Abel Tesfaye, his birth name, after performing as ‘The Weeknd’ since 2009. Speaking to W Magazine earlier this month, the Canadian hinted at the change, explaining, “It’s getting to a place and a time where I’m getting ready to close The Weeknd chapter”.
He insisted that the change isn’t a retirement announcement, saying, “I’ll still make music, maybe as Abel, maybe as The Weeknd. But I still want to kill The Weeknd. And I will. Eventually. I’m definitely trying to shed that skin and be reborn.” Tesfaye also announced that the album he’s currently working on is his “last hurrah” and that “as The Weeknd, I’ve said everything I can say”.
- The performer has had extraordinary success under his stage name – and, in March, Guinness World Records announced that he’s statistically the most popular musician on the planet.
- That month, he became the first ever artist on the streaming platform to reach 100 million monthly listeners and had the most monthly listeners on Spotify for March, with 111.4 million as of 20 March.
He’s also performed all over the world, including at the iconic Super Bowl Half Time show, and boasts the most streamed Spotify song of all time ‘Blinding Lights’, which has racked up more than 3.565 billion plays since its 2019 release.