Combine data with the Ampersand symbol (&) –
- Select the cell where you want to put the combined data.
- Type = and select the first cell you want to combine.
- Type & and use quotation marks with a space enclosed.
- Select the next cell you want to combine and press enter. An example formula might be =A2&” “&B2,
- 1 How do I combine columns in Excel?
- 2 Can you merge two rows in Excel and keep both data?
- 2.1 How do I combine two columns in Excel and keep formatting?
- 2.2 How do I merge multiple rows in multiple cells?
- 2.3 How do I combine two columns in Excel without duplicates?
- 3 How do I Unmerge cells in Excel and keep both data?
How do I combine columns in Excel?
How to combine two columns in 3 simple steps –
- Download and install the Ultimate Suite.
- Select all cells from 2 or more columns that you want to merge, go to the Ablebits.com Data tab > Merge group, and click Merge Cells > Merge Columns into One,
- In the Merge Cells dialog box, select the following options:
- How to merge: columns into one (preselected)
- Separate values with: choose the desired delimiter (space in our case)
- Place the results to: left column
- Make sure the Clear the contents of selected cells option is ticked and click Merge,
That’s it! A few simple clicks and we’ve got two columns merged without using any formulas or copy/pasting. To finish up, rename column B to Full Name and delete column “C”, which is not needed any longer. Much easier than the two previous ways, isn’t it? 🙂
Can you merge two rows in Excel and keep both data?
Combine rows in Excel with Merge Cells add-in – The Merge Cells add-in is a multi-purpose tool for joining cells in Excel that can merge individual cells as well as entire rows or columns. And most importantly, this tool keeps all the data even if the selection contains multiple values. To merge two or more rows into one, here’s what you need to do:
- Select the range of cells where you want to merge rows.
- Go to the Ablebits Data tab > Merge group, click the Merge Cells arrow, and then click Merge Rows into One,
- This will open the Merge Cells dialog box with the preselected settings that work fine in most cases. In this example, we only change the separator from the default space to line break, as shown in the screenshot below:
- Click the Merge button and observe the perfectly merged rows of data separated with line breaks:
How do I combine two columns in Excel and keep formatting?
One way to match formatting when concatenating in Excel is to use the & character. This character will preserve any formatting that is applied to the cell. For example, if a cell has bold text and you use the & character to concatenate it with another cell, the resulting cell will also have bold text.
What is the shortcut for combining columns in Excel?
Use the Excel shortcut key – Merge & Center ( ALT H+M+C ).
What is a shortcut to merge two or more cells in Excel?
Merge cells: To merge two or more cells, highlight them and then press the following keys at the same time: ALT H+M+M.
How do I get two rows to stay together in Excel?
Is there another way to keep the rows together using Sort Function in Excel? – Click on “View.” Then click on “Freeze Panes” and click on either Freeze First the Row or Freeze the First Column. This function will ensure the rows and columns you choose to stay put.
How do I merge multiple rows in multiple cells?
Split cells –
Click in a cell, or select multiple cells that you want to split. Under Table Tools, on the Layout tab, in the Merge group, click Split Cells, Enter the number of columns or rows that you want to split the selected cells into.
You can combine two or more cells and their contents in the same row or column into a single cell. For example, you can merge several cells horizontally to create a table heading that spans several columns.
Select the cells you want to merge. Tip: If your table doesn’t have borders, it might be helpful to show gridlines. Click anywhere in the table, and on the Layout tab (next to the Table Design tab), click View Gridlines, On the Layout tab (next to the Table Design tab), click Merge Cells,
How do I merge columns but keep rows?
Merge columns but not merging rows with Kutools for Excel – If you want to merge all cells in each row of a selected range at once, you can try the Combine utility of Kutools for Excel, Please do as follows.1. Select the range of cells containing the values you need to merge, and expand the selection to the right blank column to output the final merged values. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells withut Losing Data, 2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, you need to: 2.1 Select Combine columns option in the To combine selected cells according to following options section; 2.2 Select a separator for separating the combined values in the Specify a separator section; 2.3 Select Right cell option in the Place the results to drop-down list; 2.4 Select Keep contents of combined cells option in the Options section; 2.5 Click the OK button. Note : If you need to keep the original formatted values after combination such as date format value, please check the Use formatting values box. Then only columns are merged in selected range as below screenshot shown. If you want to have a free trial ( 30 -day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
How do I combine two columns in Excel without duplicates?
Combine lists without duplicates with Kutools for Excel – With installed Kutools for Excel, you can use the Select duplicates & unique cells function to solve the problem that combine two list without duplicates. Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now 1. Copy one of the two lists and paste it to the bottom of the other list, select the new list, then click Kutools > Select Tools > Select duplicates & unique cells, See screenshot: 2. In the Select duplicates & unique cells dialog, check All uniques (Including 1st duplicates), click Ok, 3. Then a dialog pops up to tell you how many unique values have been selected, click OK and Cancel to close two dialogs. See screenshot: 4. And copy the selected unique values and paste them to a new column. See screenshot: Click here to know more about Select duplicates & unique cells.
How do I Unmerge cells in Excel and keep both data?
Go to the ‘Home’ tab, click on the ‘Merge & Center’ option under ‘Alignment,’ and then click on the dropdown menu. It will display a list of items, as shown in the below screenshot. Next, click on the ‘Unmerge Cells’ option. This option will unmerge all the merged cells in the selection.